Translate

Wednesday 26 December 2012

Dream job?

 August - September 2011

Despite working 2 jobs and having more work lined up I  didn't give up on my goal of working in mining. I still continued making  enquiries, calling people and persevering. It all paid off when a door  suddenly opened. I re-sent an e-mail of interest to one of my leads and  he called me back like an hour later saying that someone was taken off a  job or something and there was an immediate opening. I said I was in  without hesitating.

I remember being in the supermarket at the time, Woolworths in  the CBD to be precise. I danced around the supermarket like I owned the  place and then proceeded to empty all the contents of my shopping basket  and buy something edible instead.

Naturally I was ecstatic when I got back to the hostel and shared  the news with my entourage there. Everyone around me, those that I knew  and those that I didn't all asked me to try and get them a job. I  passively dismissed their requests and now in retrospect don't mention  my work to anyone at all. For starters, if someone really wants to get  in then they can go through the necessary steps to get in. Second of  all, even though I had spent a week or two with some of the boys, I  certainly didn't know them very well, much less the random people that  came and asked me for a job before asking me for my name. I don't tell  anyone what I do for this reason, they become too curious and/or  envious. I am not even sharing what profession I am doing with the whole  world (at least not until I leave the country) mainly to keep what  dwindling work there is left available to myself while I am still down  under. Please don't ask I'm not going into specific details.

I told them that I would be leaving immediately at both of my  jobs and no-one seemed to care very much.  A few days later I was on a  bus to the airport to catch a red-eye flight across the country. I was  extremely nervous as you can imagine and this didn't do well to help me  integrate into my new profession.

After what seemed like an eternity, we landed at Mt. Isa airport  and then went out to Cloncurry, from where most of the work would be  done. They put us up in a caravan park. Having never been to one and  fresh out of the dorms I didn't know what to expect. I saw my room and  it had a sofa, tv, kitchen, fridge & air conditioning. I thought it  was the epitome of luxury. When I opened the slide door and saw that it  had its own bathroom and double bed I nearly fainted! What a change this  was! I was expecting to be in a shared room with one of the other  workers. No chance!

The work was tedious, physical, technical, boring, dehydrating  and long. Too long. What made matters worse is that we worked in  segments, advancing only a very little bit throughout the day. Most of  the time was spent setting up gear (which I didn't know how to do at  first) and then repairing it ( I was best at causing the problem to be  repaired in the first place). There was very little progress, but that's  just the nature of the job.

The people I worked with were as unpleasant as could be. Years of  being out bush and not having much contact with the outside world must  have had a profound impact upon these people. They whinged, gossiped,  were socially awkward, in fact, they only seemed to balance each other  out and be able to function when in each other's company. Being the  backpacker, newbie and foreigner I copped a lot of shit from my  colleagues. Fortunately, I always had the last laugh and continued to  progress where they ended up becoming stagnant, as I was to find out  later.

The job became tougher as the weeks went by. It  wasn't possible to traverse one section where we were working so we had  to carry all the bits over to where they were needed. If you ever want  to burn a gazillion calories try walking up a rocky hill all day  carrying 30+ kg on your back. To make things even more interesting, try  digging large holes along the way. Oh and did I mention that it would be  35-45C and there would be heaps of deadly snakes around? Now you're  starting to get an idea.

The work was physically draining  and even more so mentally, as I didn't fit in at all with my  colleagues. I still persevered and they couldn't hold anything against  me because they knew that I worked harder than any of them and without  my persistence, things would have gone a lot slower or not have  happened. 

Yeah that was about it. I spent 5 weeks up there, working every  single day. That was on top of 3 straight weeks of working 2 jobs and  the previous 2 weeks of arriving in a new country and discovering things  for the first time. I was beyond exhausted and was delighted when we  went on break.

No comments:

Post a Comment